12.10.2009

AAS Mid Season Preview

While Pre Fall shows are going on all around the city, Parsons The New School, is putting on their own mid season preview of sorts. I had the privilege of attending their AAS program's show tonight and was blown away by the talent and creativity that was captured and on display. It would be one thing for the students to design and execute the garment of their choice but true to Project Runway competition, a challenge was presented. The students had to create ecologically and socially conscious garments from sustainable raw materials. I have a hard enough time finishing a hem and can't image the process of reworking or recreating a pieces from a garment bag or popsicle sticks.

I attended the show tonight thanks to Roxy (aka Pop Rocks). I was blown away by her creation. I had heard about the design and had seen a small preview in the form of a scarf but was not expecting the finished product. Roxy's dress (which was displayed in the center of the room on a pedestal) was created from vintage denim and took HOURS of man power! She cut the denim in 1"x 3" strips and tied them in a patterned knot to create the skirt. GENIUS. The dress has a back zipper and might be one of the most adorable things I've ever seen. Can you image this as a full ball gown or skirt. I would die! So proud of my sweet friend and so excited for what work and designs the future will bring her way. Congratulations lovely! So proud of you! J'adorable!!!!

I thought this rain jacket was so interesting. Come to find out it is actually a shower curtain that has a few tricks up it's clear sleeve. It's hard to see in this image, but there is a lace applique texture on the collar, pockets, and sleeves. Not to be fooled, there is no lace that is actually a part of the garment. The student (Britt Cosgrove) used a machine and process that makes imprints of objects when placed under extreme amounts of pressure and heat. So adorable!


The next is garment was my Rihanna moment for the night. Jameson Bui designed a look that screamed Run This Town. With mountain peek shoulder details, tons of leather, and a fringe face covered hoodie how could you not love this?!

This was definitely one of the sweetest looks I saw all night. Unfortunately I didn't get the name of the designer but she was just as cute as her dress. The ruffles/pleats were created from various materials (ie. paper, fabric, etc). It was definitely a dress I would love to wear for a milestone birthday celebration!

This is actually a jumper, by Joyce Lo, but I chose to highlight just the top. If you look close enough you'll be able to see that the top portion is constructed from a pair of men's trousers that are upside. The waistband was removed and then reattached inside out. Even the pockets were functional and this might be the only time that a pair of pleated pants is acceptable.


I had so much fun tonight at the event and I left in complete awe of the talent that is being produced in the city, and less than ten blocks from my apartment. It is moments like this and shows like tonight that continue to spur me on and inspire me.

{my apologies if I mixed up any names with their designs}

No comments: