9.20.2010

Chantilly Lace Had a Pretty Face...

There is one thing that I would admit to being OCD about, and that is always having my nails painted. In college I went through a Revlon Red phase (still one of my all time faves) but I'm frequently experimenting with new colors and designs. In college a tradition started with my friends and once a week we would gather in the living room, turn on an couple episodes of trash tv, and have a nail painting party. Since this weekly routine I have made it a priority to maintain my digits. My lacquer has recently been edited down to a rotation of Revlon Red, Lincoln Park After Dark (OPI), Russian Navy (OPI), and Onyx (Sephora). The lack of imagination lately has been a little mind numbing so I was in desperate need for a mani makeover.


I've been affixed to my apartment working on a handful of DIY projects. I was engulfed by a sea of fabric scraps when I picked up a piece of lace and thought.... Yep, That's it! I ran to the bathroom cabinet and grabbed a bottle of Sally Hansen maximum strength top coat. After meticulous scissor work and lots of patience I ended up with a manicure that reminds me of Alvira meets Edward Scissor Hands.



Ok...maybe not the best definition but I'm loving my nails. The test is to see how long they will actually last.

To recreate for yourself you'll need::
-lace scraps
-reliable top coat
-toothpick
-scissors/nail clippers

* I started with a substantial layer of top coat

*Next I placed a piece of lace on the wet top coat and secured the lace with a toothpick (I cut the lace a little larger than my actual nail bed and trimmed the excess once the top coat was dry)

*Apply two more coats of top coat to secure lace, let dry and you're done!

Hope you have as much fun with this as I am! What are you doing to update your mani/pedi routine for the fall season?

2 comments:

amy. said...

Oh my god, this is so fresh and fierce for fall! << too many F alliterations, my apologies.

Sorry I haven't commented in a while! I've been reading though. And this nail treatment is just too gorgeous to not comment on...I want to try it ASAP. I've been using Essie's 'matte about you' top coat to mix up my typical manicure...highly suggest it.

--amy

yoshi said...

I LOVE THIS!!! you must do this on me =)