11.23.2009

Melba Toast Monday...

Welcome to a new, and what will hopefully be a reoccurring feature on this blog, Melba Toast Monday. The feature is inspired by my dear Texas loving, footloose dancing, harmonica playing friend Ms. Shuffle. And this week it is brought to you by the talented Pop Rocks!

So why Melba Toast?! Well Webster defines the frequent soup/salad companion as very dry, crisp, and thin. I understand it to be unattractive, tasteless, plain, and more often than not...insufficient! I believe the over dried bread lacks all nutrients, stimulation, and consequently falls into the same compartment as cardboard in my brain.

So why/how a weekly blog post dedicated to such an unappealing snack?! Well, thank you for asking! Mondays seem to be the hardest days for me to figure out what I'm going to wear. Much of my creative energy has been sucked up all weekend from conjuring up elaborate weekend ensembles. While most people catch up and re-energize on the weekend, that's what my week is for! Since my Monday wardrobe seems to always fall in the lackluster department I'm challenging myself and focusing my look(s) on one key component. It has to have style, personality, a sense of humor. It needs to be able to stand on its own but also commune with the rest of my wardrobe. And above all else, must look at me and reflect upon me pure genuine honesty.

Yesterday's post was going to be reflected by my current favorite shoes, my purple booties (side note: I'm starting to hate the word booties, we need to find a new name for them)! All day I kept thinking about how much the heels spiced up my basic look until I met with Roxy (aka Pop Rocks or Pops). We attempted to bundle up on the High Line and chat and midway through the conversation I was handed a gift wrapped in purple tissue paper. Getting a Christmas morning warm up in I ripped through the paper frantically to reveal the PERFECT fall/winter accessory...

a black and gray scarf with neon dinosaurs that glow in the dark!

Pops made the scarf for me in her screen printing class at New School. Officially obsessed with it!!!! Immediately I threw off my flimsy, gauze scarf and replaced it with this uber soft, cool and cozy one. It completely filled my MTM requirements as a focal point to my outfit. Will try and post a wardrobe diary incorporating it.


Shuffle and Pops... thank you for the inspiration!!!!

1 comment:

JRenee said...

I WANT ONE OF THESE SCARVES! I LOVE IT! I am obsessed with printed scarves I have a virgina johnson printed wool scarf with pink camels all over it.