1.11.2010

Fashion Psychoanalysis: Personal Style Session Two

I've spent the last few days literally in my "closet." Going through neglected garments that need to escape the captivity they are in and experience a night out with the girls, brunch with the FRAMily (friends I chose to be my NY family), or even a chilly walk about the park. In my mini closet revamp and evaluation I've been trying to wrap my head around a definition for my personal style....And it can't be done! I'm not overtly girly, consistently "hip," or routinely polished. I've come to terms with the fact that my style is a bit schizophrenic.

What I have dissected and concluded about my personal style is:
~I love to layer. No matter what season I'm constantly finding some kind of topper to finish off the look. My closet is stuffed and overflowing with jackets, coats, vests, and cardigans.

~My outfits are often a combination of casual pieces off set with dressier counterparts. I love luxurious fabrics like fur, sequins, leather, lace, and velvet. The activities that I regularly partake in are neither comfortably casual or fabulously fancy so in order to be able to give all garments equal face time, I couple the two extremes. My new word for this marriage is EXTRAVAGANZA ELEGANZA!

~My style is greatly inspired and influenced by DIY projects and reworked pieces. I love taking something to the next level, especially when it is unexpected...making the pieces my own and personal. What I love about vintage is the stories behind garments and I get the same feeling when I've (re)created something to tell my own story.

With that long winded explanation and dissection out of the way, I thought I would invite you into my closet and some of my most recent WEARdrobe additions.


These pants came in the mail today! My mom made me a pair of extremely full leg velvet pants. I'm so excited to start high kicking it around in these. All day I've been plotting what top I want to wear for their first adventure out. Crossing my fingers that all goes as planned!

This fur muff was also included in the package. My mom made it from left over fur parts from the reworked vest she made last Christmas. Can't wait, we have just the weather for this!!!!!

A multi-tasking accessory! Originally a necklace from Banana Republic, this has found a consistent home around my waist as a belt. A chameleon piece for casual or fanciful ensembles.

This is my first hybrid of extreme casualness with elaborate glamour. I took an over sized sweat shirt and attached the sleeves from a fur jacket my mom made into a vest. I would wear this everyday if it came down to it. It would definitely be in the garment bag of things I would save in a fire.

Does my mother know me or what?! This sequin and beaded paraphernalia was an intensely fought over eBay purchase I received under the tree. The detail and hand work in this dress is mind blowing. I initiated it into my WEARdrobe on NYE and can't wait for the next opportunity to slip into it!

Again, mother knows best! Another eBay find that I actually sent her to purchase. It had to be reworked for a better fit, and some work had to be done to mend some of the fallen soldiers (sequins). A special pairing is in order for this!... a few to be exact!

This vest makes fur number 4 in my collection. In it's first life it reigned as a fox coat...But after it met my mother, she reworked it into a cap sleeve vest. Warm Warm Warm!

This seems too simple to be relevant, but it's one of my favorite pieces. Again, my personal sewing machine (mother) made this 3/4 sleeve romper for me right before Thanksgiving. It's so comfortable and the perfect vehicle for copious amounts of accessories.

My self fashion examination is proving to be more interesting and telling then I ever imagined. Tomorrow I'm wrapping up the end of my project collaboration but continuing to dive into my fashion roots and being!!!


No comments: