2.10.2009

Barbie's Fall 2009 Runway

This morning I got to my desk to find a small package sitting on my chair.  I looked at the return address and had no idea who it was from.  I concluded that the package was probably not for me, but opened it anyway, since it was addressed to be, so that I could distribute the contents to the rightful owner.  I opened the card and in fact the package was for me...and everyone in the office.  We received Barbie's make up kits from Beauty.com.  At first I thought it was a mistake and all the kits were to be given to my co-worker's daughters, but what little girl is wearing cerulean eyeshadow and fuchsia lipstick?  I thought that the themed gift was a little contingent, until I realized the reason for the affair... 

Barbie is turning the big 5-0!

This is a much bigger event than I had thought.  A full scale runway show is being produced by Mattel who is partnering with designers like Diane von Furstenberg,  Anna Sui, and Rachel Roy.  The looks are inspired from iconic looks from the doll's stylish closet (archives).  The collaborations do not end there.  Christian Louboutin will be supplying the bubble gum pink patent pumps for the show.  After her runway presentation, Barbie is jetting off to the east coast for her Jonathan Adler interpreted dream house in Malibu. But it's no R&R just yet.  Barbie will be packing her bags for Paris where she will be on display at the Colette thanks to Karl Lagerfield.  

I can not wait to see images from this runway show.  I'm sure it will bring back some indulgent memories from my childhood and is definitely a breath of optimism for the industry!

No comments: