1.27.2009

How To Deal

In shopping for new clothes I've had to commit to the recession specials.  I'm trying to watch my dollar and spend it on items that I can get the most use of out.  I've put together one of my favorite outfits with pieces that are all under $100.
Lets start from the top.  The first piece is this gray wool beret from Forever 21.  The beret is $7.80 and will complement a plethora of outfits during this dreary winter season.  I'm the girl that hates to get her hair wet, so this will protect from the snow on those wintry white days while keeping me warm for the walk to work.  A little french inspiration to an outfit is almost always necessary.

I love this top!  It's the Silence and Noise Buffalo Poncho from Urban Outfitters.  Regularly priced at $68, it's even better on sale for $39.99.  I'm crazy for this.  It can be a dress, sweater, vest, the options are limitless.  It's made of a thin flannel which makes a great layering piece.  I'm pairing this with black tights, jeans, over a dress or skirt.  It has grommet detailing on the side near the hips and has an elongated cut in the front and back.  I wish they offered it in more than two colors.

Just your basic long sleeve "favorite T" from Gap.  It will cost you about $10 which is a steal.  I layer this under everything from and often use it as a thermal layer during extreme winter sports!  It comes in a multitude of colors and is always a handy extra layer to have around.

I'm not really one to wear pencil skirts, but I couldn't pass up this cotton interlock skirt from American Apparel.  It's a great balance when worn with the buffalo poncho.  The slim, form fitting  cut hits right above the knee.  A pretty good find at $32 that's incredibly versatile and integrates into my daily wardrobe effortlessly. 

I've been looking for a winter bag like this for a while and of course Urban Outfitters didn't fail me.  Lucky for me when I stumbled upon it, it was on sale from $29.99 (regularly $68).  I love that it looks like I took an old cable knit sweater and reformed it into this over sized hobo.  While a darker color is probably more practical for my life, the ivory is a perfect contrast to the darker coats I will be wearing.
Chilly Tights from Anthropologie have been one of my winter essentials.  I stepped into them one impromptu shopping day with friends and stocked up on a few pairs in black, brown, navy gray, and fuchsia all at $18/pair.  
Ok, I know these shoes come in above the $100 limit, but I couldn't help it.  Lets start with the color... I love the combination of Cognac with the red and black poncho.  Something about this color scheme seems unexpected yet obvious.  The small wedge and exposed gold zipper add enough detail to keep the boots from being just another boring pair of knee high boots.  These are the most comfortable boots I've walked this city in and keep my look polished and put together.  Like I said, they exceed the recession budget, coming in at a sale price of $148 at Steve Madden.  

I love this look.  It's casual and put together and can take me to work, a friend's show, errands on the weekend, or shopping with the girls followed by coffee.  The best part is that all the pieces go back with so many other things in my closet, but have enough character that they are able to hold their own... and are more than reasonably affordable.

2 comments:

Leila said...

well, let's see it on YOU!...you sexy thang.

Lauren Marie said...

umm. im buying that hat. i haven't shopped in probably 1.7 months, but thanks to you i might make a trip.

hugs and kisse