10.15.2008

The Girls Are Back In Town

From the start of Bravo's Season 5 of Project Runway I was highly annoyed and unimpressed with the designs and designers that made the top 12.  I thought that personalities and designs were contrived, unoriginal, and under par.  Despite my lack luster enthusiasm for the fifth season, I found myself tuning in every week to see what was making it's way down the runway and who was getting "Auf'd."  

Korto:
I was shocked to love Korto's collection as much as I did.  Throughout the season I thought that she produced decent pieces, but nothing that I really felt blown away by.  When her first look turned the corner, my mouth dropped and my eyes jumped out of my head. The long teal dress blew my mind.  The fit was PERFECT.  The model looked like she had the dress painted on her body, it was so sleek and seamless.  The Kelly green mini dress was adorable!  I wish I could have had that dress this summer to glam around in at rooftop parties and to wear to a destination beach wedding. When the short tonal dress with full sleeves showed up on the runway I was grinning from ear to ear. The almost blank canvas opens up unlimited opportunities to accessorize to the fullest.  Immediately my mind started thumbing through my accessory closet for hats, feathers, necklace, belts... AHHHH I think I was over stimulated at the endless possibilities.  This collection won me over!
!KUDOS KORTO KUDOS!
  

Leanne
Congrats! The winner of Project Runway Season 5 and I can see why.  Her craftsmanship is intricate, innovative, and in an "American couture" way.  She's taken a simple detail and infiltrated it into every look she sent down the runway.  While I commend the fruits of her labor, I was a little bored by the collection.  I felt like her collection was one note, a beautiful note, but monotone in tune.  I appreciated that she didn't just send down a collection of dresses.  She showed her range and versatility by offering pants, jackets, shorts...a variety of separates.  I think I would have been wowed if an assortment of colors would have been presented. Leanne made a small wave into the industry and we welcome Leanne into our fashion family.
  

Kenley:
The feisty vintage inspired siren made quite an impression on the judges and mentor Tim Gunn this season.  I wasn't a fan of her defensive attitude, but her aesthetic was one that I could appreciate.  I love the girly touches.  Boisterous feathered hair accessories and patterns were the highlight of the collection.  I'm going to have to agree with the judges on this one, a couple of the looks are eerily similar to looks from Balenciaga's past collections. I can't completely throw the collection overboard.  I loved the wedding dress, yes the knock off wedding dress that also reminds me of Season 4 winner, Christian Siriano's, debut collection.  The black dress with a full tulle skirt and fuchsia color bodice I adore.  I want that dress with a cropped slim cut leather jacket and peep toe booties for my very own Pretty In Pink moment.  
  

I say that I won't watch the new Project Runway when it airs next season in L.A. and on a new network, but only time will tell.  So until then...

Auf Wiedersehen!



No comments: