10.22.2008

The "A" Team

Working in the fashion I have had the opportunity to meet and work with some of the best hair stylist and make up artists in the industry.  In the last two years I have really started to pay attention to trends in beauty and apply them to my daily routine.  I don't ever want to be a slave to beauty so I've tried to take tips and hints from the best and make them appropriate to my life.  Two of my favorites in the beauty industry are Tina Turnbow and Ted Gibson.  I've gotten to work closely with both of them and have found that they have fun with their craft and skill and are always looking to try something new while making it appropriate and relatable for the everyday woman.


  I met Tina in the Fall of 2007, and since I've worked with her at a handful of fashion shows and photo shoots.  She's worked with flawless faces like Anne Hathaway, Mary Louise Parker, Amanda Peet, and Natalie Portman.  Tina got her start at the late age of 24 working under "face painting legends" Kay Montano and Pat McGrath.  Whenever I get the chance to spend time with her, I'm always picking her brain for expert tips and secrets. I'm always trying to get the insider's how-to on obtaining an identical look that I saw a celebrity with the night before and it never comes out the same.  "No two faces are precisely alike and each-- whether belonging to an actor, socialite, model, editor, or bride--possesses a set of unique features that are meant to be illuminated, rather than wiped away."  Tina's always reminding me of this and how appropriate it is.  My skin tone is not the same, my features are not the same, so how can I expect the colors, style, or look to be replicated?  Instead I'm presented with new techniques and ideas that work for ME.  Tina's style combines her Midwest roots with her love of film, fashion, and life experiences in NYC.  Her looks come across as bold, distinct, and luminous.

  



  Ted Gibson... Easily one of my favorite people that I've met since moving to New York.  Not only is he one of the warmest people that you will ever meet, he's also one of the most talented in the business.  His style has influences from his travels growing up in Japan, Hawaii, and Germany.  Ted's appreciation for universal beauty and innovative style has helped his acquire celebrity clients like Anne Hathaway and Angelina Jolie.  Ted stumbled into hair styling, he had a friend that was in the industry that drove a nice car and had a fabulous apartment... and Ted wanted the same for himself.  He nurtured his interest in styling by training at Aveda and later moved up to Creative Director at the salon before opening his own salon in the Flatiron District.  Ted has a knack for getting things just right.  He is always ahead of the rest of the industry and brings creativity to every lock of hair!  Not only has he perfected his skill with styling tools, he's found a niche in beauty products.  His shampoos, conditioners, and lotions has the most incredible scent.  I've been testing blow dryers and flat irons for almost as long as I can remember, but nothing has worked quite as well as Ted's products.  The blow dryer infuses my hair with the most incredible aromas and doesn't leave the ends dry or brittle.  And the flat iron is a dream; hot enough to do it's job without drying or breaking the ends.  Ted's style is creative, it has intricate details and techniques that are never overdone and can always be translated for everyday wear.

   

No comments: